The Power of Words, Associations, and Conversations


You may have not particularly considered the huge influence your friends, associates, and even random conversations have on you, especially in the way you think and act. I recall a conversation I had with a friend several months ago. We discussed something that was my major heart's desire at that point in time, and she said she didn’t think it was possible. 

I kid you not; a few weeks later, the devil pounced on that statement, making me doubt God’s ability to give me that desired testimony. Immediately, I remembered the song, “Whose report will you believe? I shall believe the report of the Lord!” And that was it for me; I began to speak the word that “With God, all things are possible, God is able to do abundantly above all I can think and ask for; “all things work together for my good” (Luke 1:37, Ephesians 3:20-21, Rom 8:28).

Oh yeah, I guessed right. You’re thinking this is cliche! Words are mere words, right? 😅 No! Words are actually powerful. They are like seeds! You become who you are based on the people you associate with, the books you read, and all things -words and texts - that you expose yourself to/consume (movies, media, conversations, etc.).

Conversely, there are times I’ve been positively influenced based on what I learned in Sunday school or through friends. It’s like magic; I vividly remember someone mentioned that she was upset by a situation but would have reacted differently if she hadn't remembered one of her pastor’s teachings on acting like Jesus and extending grace to/ forgiving others; specifically, how Jesus would have reacted in that kind of situation.

I know we often say things like, “who I interact with doesn’t matter; I’m not a baby; I have a mind of my own; no one can tell me what to do/how to act”. Do not be deceived, do not underestimate the power of associations! 

We, as social beings, are influenced either positively or negatively. It’s almost impossible not to be influenced at all as we socialize anywhere and every time. The funny part of this is that if you don’t self-evaluate decisions, habits, and thoughts from time to time, you might not be able to decipher who you were prior to the association and who you are presently.

Your associates influence your decisions, thoughts, and actions. Even though people are idiosyncratic, it is essential to be exposed to godly and edifying associations. It’s the best way to grow spiritually and in every other area of life. Friendships are powerful. If you’re not sensitive, you might want to believe anything your friend says or imitate their behavior.

The Bible is clear: Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, but his delight is in the law of the Lord (Psalm 1:1-2). Let's aim for associations that uplift and inspire us, aligning with God's Word and guiding us toward growth and fulfillment in every aspect of our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Need to Examine Your Christianity ASAP🥹

How to Forgive Easily